We recently completed a kitchen redesign for a disabled client. The kitchen utilizes “Universal Design” elements while still maintaining a modern and beautiful design that is entirely functional for our wheelchair bound cook.
Here are some features that we incorporated into this kitchen.
- The counter height was reduced by two inches
- Double drawer dishwasher for easy loading and unloading of dishes
- Wheelchair access below the cook top
- Upper cabinets have a pull down shelf mechanism for easy access to dishes
- The stainless steel top on the island table is for usable 30″ high counter top space
- The below side swing door oven is a stainless pull out shelf to accommodate hot dishes being removed from the oven
- The oven has been raised for comfortable wheel chair height
- Also, part of this kitchen is at conventional height so her tall husband could also work comfortably